;
;

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Bizarre spam comments, and reasons for not posting.

OK, i have now enabled comment moderation, because 2 of my posts have attracted... extremely odd spam(?) comments, from someone who likes to write dissertation length rants attacking every race and religion imaginable, telling everyone that they need to become asexual, and going on about (plural, non-specific) "gods" and "the disfavored" a lot. I don't know whether anyone else has been targeted by this individual, but hir comments were not just nonsensical and offensive to... pretty much the entire population of the world, really, but so long that my computer very nearly crashed when trying to load the comment pages in order for me to be able to delete them.

(OK, so my computer crashes/freezes/does inexplicable things pretty much all the time, being about 10 years old and with nowhere near enough RAM or hard drive space to be even able to handle broadband internet, really... which is one reason why i'm on Blogspot, and not Livejournal, because LJ pages seem to be so data heavy that they can cause freezes from trying to load them. Which sucks, because there are several awesome blogs on Livejournal, and i'd like to be able to comment on them. Why i'm on Blogspot and not on WordPress is another question entirely, and one i'm increasingly not finding any acceptable answer to... maybe i'll move to WordPress eventually, but i think i need a bit more tech knowledge first. Anyway, this parenthetical paragraph has got far too rambly...)

The thing is, i'm not 100% sure exactly how comment moderation works. I'd like people to be able to post comments on my blog without having to wait for approval, just as they could before comment moderation was enabled, but i'd also like to be able to delete gigantic, nonsensical spam comments. However, there seems to be no way to enable deleting comments without comment moderation...

I'd also like comments to appear underneath the post when you click on the "n comments" link, rather than going to a comment page that doesn't include the original post. I don't know if that's possible without sacrificing the ability to delete comments, tho...

If anyone knows exactly how comment moderation works, and/or if it's possible for me to have the combination of features i want, please let me know. Unfortunately, i don't know exactly what will happen to your replies if you post them as comments to this post...

Also... i said in the title of this entry "reasons for not posting", but i don't think i have the energy to actually go into those reasons right now. Suffice to say, i have an ever-growing list of stuff i want to write blog posts about, and quite a few that i intended to post in the last few days, but some shit has been happening in my life that has been leaving me extremely stressed and without the kind of levels of concentration or rational thought necessary for coherent writing, or the faith in my own ability to understand or justify anything to allow me to write it. However, this stuff is hopefully short term, and going to be resolved, and when it's resolved i'll probably post about it. My mind is in too much of a state of flux for me to feel able to post about it before it gets resolved, tho...

Anyway, i'm gathering some determination to work through the above shit and write some posts on unrelated issues in the next couple of days or so...

9 comments:

Kay Olson said...

Lots of people got the Dissertation Spam recently -- Wheelchair Dancer and Mark at The 19th Floor both commented briefly on it, as I recall.

I find LiveJournal frustrating for a number of reasons too. One is the arrangement of comments into multi-branching threads that I personally find very difficult to follow. Another is that, to my knowledge, LJ is not covered in a Google search and sometimes I resort to Googling to track down one of my own old posts on my blog, which is Blogspot/Blogger. I do have an LJ account so that I can comment on some friends' pages. My own page on LJ simply has one entry linking to my Blogger site.

I'd prefer Wordpress too, and I do plan to switch someday. I believe the tradeoff between the two is that while on Wordpress you can manage comments in more complex ways, you also seem to have more issues with hacking and spam and such since your blog isn't under a broad cover of protection for the whole system. Maybe someone else has more or more accurate info on that, but it's my impression.

I use Blogspot/Blogger and have disallowed anonymous comments. I also get email notification of each comment, but they are not held in moderation. I routinely delete spammers, though there aren't many, really. If you make sure you're logged into Blogger, then go to the page where the offensive comment is, there should be a little trash can image next to each comment. Clicking on that deletes that one comment, but the trash can won't show if you're not logged into your account first.

I have engaged full moderation a couple of times, when my blog was linked somewhere that led many rude people, but, frankly, disallowing anonymous comments cured that problem for me. The day that is not enough is when I get serious about switching to Wordpress.

I don't know how to get comments on the same page. I opted for a separate pop-up, which allows me to see the original entry and comment on it at the same time.

Hope this helps.

lilwatchergirl said...

Every disabled blogger I know has been targeted by this person at least once. I'd like to report him/her for some sort of incitement to hate crime, but I don't know if writing nasty comments in blogs would count for that...

You should already be able to delete any comments that you want to - you don't need to enable moderation for that. I enable moderation because it often takes me a while to get round to checking comments on my blog, so I don't always 'get' to comments in time to avoiding everyone reading them.

Lisa Harney said...

That guy's been hitting multiple blogs. He's hit mine, The Unapologetic Mexican, Fetch Me My Axe, The Silence of Our Friends, and, oh...several others I can't even recall at the moment.

He's just posting it indiscriminately.

Lisa Harney said...

Oh, yeah - I really do like wordpress for not having a separate page just for posting comments, for putting everyone on moderation until you approve their posts, and so on.

As for LJ and memory...oh, god. I have 1.5 gigs and a computer that's only a couple of years old, and loading my friend page can take eons sometimes. It's that annoying popup thing they added to icons, I'm sure of it.

misscripchick said...

the comment things is another reason to move to wordpress...they have a spam filter that gets most stuff out (filters out at least 30 spam comments a day for me without me even seeing) and then you can still leave comments wide open. i choose to moderate mine so people are civil but tend to approve them within the hours normally (yes i'm on THAT much. scary.)

misscripchick said...

OH. and if you move to wordpress, you can upload all your blogger entries and comments. can you tell i'm a little biased? :)

shiva said...

OK... i think i will move to WordPress eventually. It probably won't be in the next couple of months, tho.

I'll have to experiment with Blogger's comment settings a bit. There didn't seem to be a dustbin icon before i enabled moderation... so, stand by for some weirdness like changing comment procedures and test comments posted by me for the purpose of seeing whether i can delete them...

trashman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
shiva said...

OK. It now seems that i am able to delete comments after they have been posted by clicking the trashcan icon... weirdly, that didn't seem to be there before...

Anyway, that's a lot easier for me than pre-moderation, and the only stuff i am going to delete is spam, total bigotry, or anything that seriously screws up page loading or formatting...

It seems there are 2 levels of deletion too, just "delete" (which leaves behind a message saying "this post has been deleted by the author/an administrator (depending on if it was my post or someone else's)", and "remove forever", which simply eliminates the comment without trace.

Now to alter my comments box message again...