;
;

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Live blogging from Autscape 2008...

well, maybe not strictly "live", as nothing is happening *right now*, but i'm there...

My presentation is going to be tomorrow. I don't know if i'm going to live up to the standards of the incredibly inspiring (if slightly frustrating because of the presenters flicking through slides full of info too fast for me to write any of it down) presentation on LARM-UK (London Autistic Rights Movement) and Autreach-IT (I'll edit this post to put links to their websites in here).

I simply can't believe i didn't hear of either of these before - LARM is a network set up for active political campaigning for autistic rights, and they're committed to the social model of disability (which makes me feel optimistic for tomorrow, altho i know that there will be a lot of people with very different views, and it will be challenging for me in terms of presenting my position successfully, but i know i have some strong allies), and Autreach-IT is an utterly awesome sounding project to get accessible communication technology (based on the "One Laptop Per Child" idea) to autistic people living in settings (care homes, etc) where their communication needs are not recognised... and, IMO, it really has the potential tobreak out of the "disability technology" ghetto, and become universal assistive technology...

There was an incredibly moving short video put together by a 12 year old non-verbal autistic kid, to illustrate the power of the technology - i'll try to find and post it...

I missed a couple of the other presentations i wanted to see because my own inertia made me miss breakfast, and so i had to go on a food mission to the nearby town (Settle), but the Yorkshire Dales scenery is incredibly beautiful (despite intermittent rain), so i found it impossible to be too pissed off... (I will post photos when i get back...)

Loads of thoughts about the general atmosphere, being around so many other autistic people, etc swirling around my head, but can't verbalise them very coherently right now, so i might post again tomorrow, if i get time (or do a more thorough post when i get back)...

Anyway, i'll cut this short because the film showing (Mozart and the Whale and Snow Cake) is about to start...

No comments: